Thursday, November 29, 2007

Prejudices in Society

God created all things. Compared to His glory and the wonder of His creation, we are nothing. Yet, He chose us to have dominion over the earth. We are His stewards, though we do not deserve it. He loves us enough to put all He has made under our hands and feet. We are not biological machines. Psalm 22:9-10 says, “Yet you brought me out of the womb; you made me trust in you even at my mother's breast. From birth I was cast upon you; from my mother's womb you have been my God.” God created us for a purpose and we should strive to follow His purpose for our lives. We are uniquely made. He knew us before we were conceived. Psalm 139:13-14 says, “For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.”

The Declaration of Independence says, “all men are created equal.” God created man in His own image. He made every person unique and special and every person equally has the chance to accept His gift of salvation. We should not judge others based on their ethnic or racial background because God created people of various colors, all unique and all equal in His eyes.

Some people tend to base their opinions of ethnic or racial groups on a select few who gave a bad impression. I once assumed that all Mexicans were bad and thought that the United States should not allow them to become such a large part of our society. I thought that if illegal immigrants were inconsiderate of our culture and came to the United States only for the free benefits, then all Mexicans were that way. I’ve caught myself thinking wrong thoughts about African Americans as well. I did not like that they received special benefits because of their race. Also, I grouped many of them as poor people who were too lazy to work their way up in society.

God has slowly brought me to see that my prejudices are wrong. I am too quick to judge and often allow my prejudices to get in my way. Not only do I judge too quickly based on race, ethnicity, and looks, but I also tend to form quick opinions on first sight of a person. I’ve learned that once I get past my judgmental views, I can see more than the outside of a person. John 7:24 says, “Stop judging by mere appearances, and make a right judgment." I still have prejudices, but I try to throw them out and replace them with God’s point of view. Human nature does not allow us to become completely righteous. Because of this, we have no right to judge others. We all have sinned. Romans 2:1 says, “You, therefore, have no excuse, you who pass judgment on someone else, for at whatever point you judge the other, you are condemning yourself, because you who pass judgment do the same things.” As Christians, we should reach out to others instead of judging them. The ultimate judgment belongs to the Lord. Romans 14:13 says, “Therefore let us stop passing judgment on one another. Instead, make up your mind not to put any stumbling block or obstacle in your brother's way.”

Genesis 3:16-18 says,

To the woman he said, "I will greatly increase your pains in childbearing; with pain you will give birth to children. Your desire will be for your husband, and he will rule over you." '
To Adam he said, "Because you listened to your wife and ate from the tree about which I commanded you, 'You must not eat of it.' Cursed is the ground because of you; through painful toil you will eat of it all the days of your life. It will produce thorns and thistles for you, and you will eat the plants of the field.”
While I believe in equality of the sexes, I also believe that each sex has limitations. Man and woman were created one way, but because of the Fall, woman was placed under man’s authority. Woman has more strength for giving birth and man has more strength for work. Woman desires man and man rules over woman. Many women manage to make their way to the top, but because of the Fall, most have trouble getting there.

Many people tend to judge people based on their sex rather than on their race or ethnicity. God created all men equal, but He also created them unique. No two people are the same. He knows the sex of a child before its birth. He also created males to differ from females. Each has their own characteristics that the other does not possess. Together, the two sexes make a whole. Marriage should be between one man and one woman. Unfortunately, today, many women are seen as sex objects or airheads. Many believe in the survival of the fittest, and to men that means dominion over women.

We live in a selfish world. People focus on self-gratification instead of on the greater good. Because of this, many overeat, spend too much time playing video games, or live sedentary lives as couch potatoes. When people feel restless, they look to the world for fulfillment and entertainment. When stressed, people buy things or overeat. I have three weaknesses: DVD’s, CD’s, and food. I overeat and often buy DVD’s or CD’s I don’t need.

The world cannot fill the holes within people. As Christians, we find fulfillment in Christ. We should spend time with God. The world makes it easy for us to get caught up in what we are doing and to forget to praise God for what He has given us. We need to remember to take time out for God. People are reduced to race, ethnicity, sex, and self. We must remind society that these prejudices and activities are not all that matter in life. We should glorify God in all that we do. This means we should not allow our prejudices and worldly activities to control us.

No comments: