Sunday, September 2, 2007

College Life: An Introduction to this Blog and to my Faith

If the following introduction bores you, please skip down to the paragraph that follows it for a more interesting read.

The name of this blog is "Segway'n Through College." I've given it this name because I own a segway which I have named Brooklyn. I bought the segway as a means of transportation for college as well as a means of stress relief. Right now I am taking a computers class which requires me to start a new blog as an assignment, so here is my new blog!!! I already have three other blogs at http://atthestudy.blogspot.com/ http://declarationphotos.blogspot.com/ and http://confabremarks.blogspot.com/. I will often post the same stuff on this blog that I will post on my other blogs. Still, this blogs has a specific purpose and that is college life, so I will be focusing on my segway adventures and my college experiences. I will often post devotionals and things I write for classes. Since my computers class also deals with ethics I will post my views and opinions on current events and popular trends and well as on my own interests.
I'd like to start with a devotional I wrote as I entered college. I also thought it appropriate because it starts out talking about computers.

Patience - Learning to Trust God's Will

Read Matthew 6

If you have a computer or use the internet, you know the meaning of patience. Every time you log on to your computer or onto the internet you must wait for everything to load. Every once in a while, your computer will freeze or your internet will stop working. Maybe your computer will just slow down so much that you cannot get anything done. You scream and yell at your computer. You want the problem fixed now, but only with enough patience and perseverance can you fix the problem. Sometimes you will not have the ability to fix the problem, especially if your entire computer system crashes.

Life is a lot like the problems you have with your computer. If your life system fails, you may have to start anew. God will swipe your slate clean. Other times you will pray to God to fix something right away, but you must have patience. Everything will not fix itself at once and God will not always answer your prayers the way you expect Him to answer them.

A lot of us focus too much on what we want when God says He’ll provide what we need. You may plan ahead for your future, but that does not mean everything will work out the way you planned it. God may throw a curve ball at you and when He does you will need to take it with the right attitude. The key is to remember that God is in control. No matter what, He is always there for you. He has a plan for you. When you get hit in the head it will hurt, but God will use that hit to make you grow so you will never get hit in the head again.

The Bible tells us to pray diligently and God will answer us, but the answers do not always come right away and often will come in an unexpected way. We must pray and have trust in God during hard times; having faith that God knows what is best for us.

God’s will, not ours, be done. I do not know how many times I have had to repeat this to myself. Patience and trust are not my fortes. Transferring to a new college, this year, I have allowed frustration to rule my heart several times. Coming from the fast paced city of New York, the laid back, often unorganized way of the mid-west has caught me off guard. I told the college months before school started that I wanted my own dorm room, but I did not get my own dorm room. A month before school started I found out that I would share a room with one Lindsay Smith. God forced me to deal with my own selfish desires and with the disappointment of not getting what I wanted. I prayed that God would change things. Then, I went into denial. I cried and whined. I wanted it fixed then and there. I had no patience at all and I did not trust God’s will.

My thoughts trailed back to a time in high school when I was assigned to a room, with a girl I did not like, at the school retreat. God opened up an empty room and allowed me to take the opportunity so I would not have to room with the girl I disliked so much. Now that a similar situation had occurred with my college rooming assignment I hoped God would do the same for me, once again. At the retreat I bragged about having my own room. Praying about my current situation, I realized it was wrong of me to brag and promised God I would not do the same if He gave me my own dorm room.

Coming out of my fit over not getting my own dorm room, I had a rude awakening. If I had gotten my own room, I probably would have bragged again just like I had bragged at my high school retreat. I claimed I wanted my own room because of my bad snoring, but the truth was that I was acting out of my own, selfish desires. I just wanted a space of my own that I would not have to share. I realized then that I just needed to put my faith in God because He is in control.

Looking back at my high school retreat, I wonder what would have happened if I had roomed with that girl I did not like. Would we have become friends? Would I have learned something from it? God gave me a choice and I chose to have my own room. From that experience, I learned not to brag. I wonder what God would have taught me had I rejected the extra room. Now that I have moved into my college dorm room and met my room mate I have no regrets. I love it here and I love my room mate. God knew what I needed, even if I did not. He has provided for me. He is in control and His will will be done. He will provide what I need, but not always what I want. He will guide me and teach me. As I pray, asking Him for a humble heart, He will show me patience and He will teach me His ways. I will depend on Him. He will show me that this is the day that He had made and I need not worry about tomorrow, for He is in control. I will rejoice and be glad in it!

Psalm 118:24 This is the day the LORD has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it.

Psalm 17:6 I call on you, O God, for you will answer me; give ear to me and hear my prayer.

Exodus 9:16 But I have raised you up for this very purpose, that I might show you my power and that my name might be proclaimed in all the earth.

Psalm 33:11 But the plans of the LORD stand firm forever, the purposes of his heart through all generations.

Psalm 57:2 I cry out to God Most High, to God, who fulfills {his purpose} for me.

Psalm 138:8 The LORD will fulfill his purpose for me; your love, O LORD, endures forever— do not abandon the works of your hands.

Proverbs 19:21 Many are the plans in a man's heart, but it is the LORD's purpose that prevails.

No comments: